Skip to content
- Leave one light on so you know when the power is restored.
- Never use a barbecue indoors. Carbon monoxide emissions can cause asphyxiation.
- Turn off water to the clothes washer and dishwasher.
- A small bicycle pump can supply air to the fish tank.
- Keep an emergency kit. Some recommended items to include are:
- Flashlight and batteries
- Candles, holders and matches
- Battery-powered radio
- Alarm clock (wind up)
- Fondue pot and fuel
- Do not open the freezer door while the power is off.
- Food will stay frozen in a full freezer for 24 to 48 hours. Most food will stay frozen in a partly filled freezer for 12 to 24 hours.
- Most bakery products can be refrozen. Ice cream should be discarded.
- Keep the refrigerator door closed so cold air does not escape. Most refrigerated food will keep for 16 hours.
- Dairy products such as sour cream, milk, cream, cottage cheese and yogurt should be discarded after 6 to 8 hours.